Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Wheelchair Olympics meet Nascar

Often times on Tuesdays and Thursdays I go to the gym at Johnson County Community College (hereafter refered to as JCCC) to play some basketball. Everytime on the court next to me, there is a special needs group getting exercise while honing their skills of cordination. I think it's great, don't get me wrong, but this time it was all I could do to keep from laughing. Zooming by me at every bit of 3 m.p.h. taking the inside lane of the running track was a young wheelchair bound racer, doing his morning laps. "What's so funny about that?", you may ask, and be entirely right to do so. Well, my response - nothing, if you are actually expending effort by spinning the rubber wheels of the chair. You see, this particular would be racer, was operating an automatic wheelchair, therefore the only energy requirements were that of his thumb and index finger to move the joystick of his wheelchair. Seriously, that was the funniest thing I'd seen all week long.

I guess it's like NASCAR really.

6 comments:

Byron Gerber said...

the only thing that would be funnier is if he had some compititon!

megs said...

good stuff right thar!

Sarah Fortney said...

i admit that is funny; but you better be careful with those jabs at NASCAR - lol, especially if Ruth finds out. ;)

misslydi said...

you should write in your xanga more. ttyl

Me said...

Mark Mark Mark.....

NASCAR drivers are athletes.

Stephanie said...

I'm sitting here with my mouth hanging wide open, already beginning to formulate my plan of attack on you and your "heartless ways"... and then I get to:

"...this particular would-be racer was operating an automatic wheelchair..."

...and it was all I could do to keep from bursting forth in fits of laughter right in the middle of my office.

Cute. Thanks for sharing! lol

Oh, and thanks for stopping by my site and sharing with us your thoughts and insights. Good stuff!


theothermarkmiller
Quantcast